Saturday, December 15, 2012

Wine and Canvas: Des Moines

So, my friend Shannon sent out a Facebook message to a few of our close friends asking us if we wanted to go to Wine and Canvas--and blog about it.  I, the type to be up for anything, said sure!  After all, with wine in the name--how could one go wrong?  I like to get out and do things that are a little different.  After all, if you are with good company (and good wine!), everything is fun!

I went to the website:  https://www.wineandcanvas.com/wine-and-canvas-calendar-des-moines-ia.html to see what exactly it was.  Wine and Canvas.  "Oh, duh, canvas meaning painting," I thought to myself and probably said aloud.  I immediately had a mini A-HA moment, "Shit, I can't paint ANYTHING!"  I took one look at the picture, "White Flowers," and thought, I am going to paint that?!  Not.  Plus it was at Mimi's Cafe, which I thought was interesting.  So I am painting a picture that I KNOW I can't paint and at a place where I eat breakfast?  Are we all going to stand around in the dining area, complete with beret, easel and stick-thin moustaches, next to some elderly couple sharing an Eggs Benedict, and paint a picture way out of my league?  Whatever.  I've done stranger things.  Plus, there is wine.

(Here's the picture our class painted!  Initially freaked out when I saw that!)

I found that Wine and Canvas is in different venues all over the country--so if you are in California, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, IOWA, Kentucky, Minnesota, Nevada, Ohio, or South Dakota--there is the possibility that you will find a Wine and Canvas near you!  These are for adults 21 and over, but I do believe there is a Cookies and Canvas spin-off.  Yay!

An insight into my artistic ability:  I can draw stick people.  The last time I have ever created anything was in art class in high school.  Even then, I didn't really GET it and decided I would be an "appreciator" and not a "creator." My sister, with her Matt Damon pencil sketch proudly displayed in my parents' basement and random clay artifacts around the house is the artistic one.

An insight into my attention span:  I don't always have one.

There was a disclaimer on the site telling people NOT to worry, that there would be step-by-step instruction by an artist to recreate the painting.  Ok.  So everyone paints the same painting.  I suppose we could help each other out.

A group of three friends and I arrive to Mimi's with a sign at the door proudly exclaiming that Wine and Canvas was inside.  We walked in to a private dining area (so no bothering randoms with their meal) and a row of tables set up in the middle.  Each seat complete with an easel, canvas, container of water, paintbrushes, and a plate with colored paint globs.  The place was set up for about 25 people.  We excitedly sat down.  My friend looked up at the painting we were to create, on display in front, and again, we both panicked.  However, with Mimi's wine flight deal ($5 for a flight of three glasses before 6), we quickly took advantage and forgot we had no artistic talent.


The artist, complete with microphone headset and bubbly attitude, started.  There is an already-completed painting on display--and another one that she has started with us.  She walked us through the needed brush strokes.  One step at a time.  Very VERY easy to follow!  There was also fun music being projected through the room--like Black Eyed Peas and Duran Duran.  Everyone is talking, laughing, drinking wine (note: You do not have to have wine--a Coke, beer, or glass of water is JUST fine), jamming to the music, and PAINTING an awesome picture.

The artist and Wine and Canvas staff were very friendly and helpful--offering tips on how to improve the painting, offering encouragement ("Great Job!"), taking pictures for us (laughed when I made my "West Side" hand gesture), and generally making it a pleasant experience for all.

My friends and I watched in amazement how we created these pieces.  Each similar, yet with our own special touches.  We had SO MUCH FUN and definitely will go back.


(That's us!  I am the first one on the left!)


(Here's who I think I am now!)

I posted my painting on Facebook--and had SEVERAL compliments about how it was a great picture, and other friends wanting to attend a session.  My boyfriend thinks I am the next Picasso.  Winning!

Des Moines' launch of Wine and Canvas was on December 12th.  There are several venues around the city where they go--and it appears the class is offered several times a week.  Get a group together (heck, go by yourself even!) and GO!  Classes normally run $35 a session (wine not included) and you can find deals on Living Social etc.  Make sure to LIKE Wine and Canvas Des Moines on Facebook for pictures and specials.

1 comment: